Sunday, June 30, 2013

It's been a few days...

I haven't posted in a while because the last few days have been really busy. My son turned one on Friday and we celebrated by going to the park and letting him tear into a few presents. Then on Saturday we celebrated his birthday with the family. Of course there was cake.


I had also got depressed on Saturday because my wife received a call about our opossum friend. He didn't make it. There was too much internal bruising.

I haven't worked out at all this weekend and I feel like I'm slipping off into quitting altogether. I need to do something drastic to drop kick me back into this thing or I'm afraid I will be lost again, doomed to repeat this process in another 6 months with another 20 pounds added to me. I'm not my own friend. I'm the enemy. The competition isn't out there, it isn't with cover models, it isn't with the infomercial jocks, it's certainly not with anyone I pass on the street. The only competition I have is with me.

It's too difficult to put into words what I'm feeling. It's as if there are two halves of me. One is my conscious self that wants to get into shape and the other is a subconscious self that really likes cheeseburgers and pizza. Lets go Freudian and call them the super ego and id, respectively. What I need to do is bash the id into submission with all the fitness knowledge and psychology I know. I need to do it swiftly and mercilessly because it will fight back. I need to muster all the discipline I have, exhausting every reserve to conquer this beast. It's will jeapordizes the safety and security of my wife and my son. It threatens my own life and for this it must be vanquished....Oh God, I'm going to war!

8 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to Zach! I'm glad you got to celebrate with your fam this weekend, but sorry to hear about the possum, and about your internal struggles. You're stronger than this JR. I'll be praying for you! I KNOW you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please read one or both of these books:

    Wheat Belly

    The End of Overeating

    They will help with your struggles, and realize how/why you are doing what you are doing/feeling what you are feeling.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your son!

    I am so sorry about the little opossum. I rescued a tiny kitten once, and even with my efforts and those of the Humane Society, the little fellow did not make it. But it shows a lot of character and heart that you tried. So many people would have left the baby opossum right where it was. Thank you for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each day is a new chance. You aren't destined to be in the same food rut for the rest of your life. It feels that way but it's not the truth. That is a lie that we allow to take hold of our thoughts when we dwell on the negative.
    Speak positively, encourage yourself. I have great support from my husband and friends but sometimes ME MYSELF AND I are the only one that can give the pep talk that will make a difference.
    Forget that you hadn't worked out in a bit or that your food intake has been a little off. There is nothing that can be done to change yesterday. Only today. Today we can make choices that will affect us. Make today count. No matter where your starting point is the fantastic part is that you are giving health another go. I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes about starting fresh:
    “Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't give up, JR. Unfortunately, good days and bad days are a part of our journey, but you CAN do this. I agree with Veronica, tomorrow is a brand new day. Remember, you're not alone. We are all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your opossum friend. I know it gets really hard to stay on track some days. Just try to let yesterday go and get up with a new and better plan tomorrow. Stay with it!!! Please!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where are you J.R? I have been coming around looking for a post and haven't found one. I hope you haven't given up!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very correct and true information here. I appreciate this. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete