Friday, June 14, 2013

Day 12

I've watched a lot of the Biggest Loser and one thing I've learned is to not expect much from your second week. There is a curse upon it where people just don't lose that much weight at the second weigh-in. It's most likely because of the huge numbers people lose in the first week (as much as 20 or 30 pounds!). However, at the second weigh-in people may only lose 1 or 2 pounds, lose nothing, or even gain weight. If someone so big who is working out all day, every day, with great trainers, a fully stocked kitchen and nutritionists, getting a full nights rest, and not tempted by home or the stresses of work and family can only drop 1 or 2 pounds then what chance do I have in the second week!? I who has eaten poorly, exercised irregularly, and slept dismally? It doesn't look good for me. I have 2 days left until the end of week 2 and I'll be happy no matter what the scale says because week 2 just sucks. What's important is that I strengthen my good habits, overcome my poor eating patterns, and gain some wisdom to carry me the rest of these 90 days.


Small steps. Small small steps.

Over the past 12 days I have gradually got into the habit of waking up early to work out, I have gradually been more cautious in what I eat, and I've managed to stretch out my workouts from standing there for 5 minutes barely moving to being active for at least 20 out of 30 mintues. I've also become more active in the evening (if only by a little bit).

It's ok to only work out once or twice week 1 and for 10 minutes; to only eat right 3 meals of 21. Then week 2 work out 3-4 times for 20 minutes, eating right 10 of 21 meals. Week 3 working out 5 times for 30 minutes at moderate intensity and eating right 15 of 21 meals. Week 4: work out 6x @ 45 minutes, eating 20 perfect meals. Week 5: workout 6x @ 1 hour, relatively high intensity, still eating perfect....and on and on, better and better each week.

I'm building myself up like a freight train; slowly chugging along at first but gaining speed until I'm roaring down the tracks with nothing able to stop me.

2 comments:

  1. It's the Little Engine that Could, JR! We didn't get this way overnight, and it won't disappear overnight, either. You are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I got to read this today. I'm going into my second week and I always see very little loss compared to my first week. It made me feel a whole lot better to see someone else go through that same thing. You're doing a great job! Now if only we could turn this train we all seem to be on into a speeding bullet...

    ReplyDelete