Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 2 & A Comment on Training

Day 2 and I still haven't even begun to work out. I mean, I threw some punches into the air and did some small squats for about 10 minutes this morning but that was it. I find it difficult to get up when the alarm goes off. I find it just as difficult to move in the morning. This morning was particularly difficult for some reason. I stood there in front of the TV and sort of dozed off while standing. Then it was time to get ready for work.

Do I need a gym membership? I don't believe so. There is nothing in the gym that I cannot do on my own in the real world. Why run on a treadmill when the world is free to traverse? Why use machines to work on a crazy number of tiny isolated muscles when I can push, climb, and pull heavy objects in nature? When I think of the gym versus no gym I picture Rocky IV. Busting ass in a soviet barn, pulling rocks on chains, plowing snow, chopping wood, doing situps from rafters. Just the thought of it spikes my testosterone!

But there are mornings like this one, where it's raining outside and I'm just in too much of a slump to get moving. Surely a gym would motivate me. Surely I would get some work done. If I didn't go to a gym then what? There are a number of at home workout programs that promise amazing results. If the gym isn't for me then maybe one of them are? I've seen the infomercials for Insanity, P90X, TurboJam, Rockin Body, Asylum, Shakeology, JNLFusion, and DeltaFit. But do I need a program to follow at home? Yes, but I don't think it has to be one of these programs. I should be able to get the same results if I put forth the same intensity and this I believe is where the problem is: I'm not intense enough. Hell, right now my intensity is at 0 and I need to be at 11. Buying into a program won't correct this problem. I can give up easily either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment